6 fat trimmed and skin removed veal osso buco
1 large yellow, chopped onion
2 peeled and chopped carrots
2 stalks chopped celery
10 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon(s) fennel
1 Tablespoon(s) coriander seed
1 Tablespoon(s) black pepper corn
4 bay leaves
2 Cup(s) red (Nebbiolo if possible) wine
8 Cup(s) veal stock
1/2 Cup(s) tomato paste
Also need olive oil, salt, and pepper.
1) Liberally season veal shanks with salt and pepper. On stovetop, heat some olive oil in a braising pan.
2) Brown (sear) osso buco on all sides, remove from pan. Discard oil and fat from pan.
3) Add veggies and saute until lightly browned. Add spices.
4) Deglaze pan with wine, cook 2 minutes.
5) Return osso buco to pan, add stock and tomato paste to cover completely.
6) When liquid simmers, cover pan and cook in a 300-degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
7) Remove osso buco from pan, strain cooking liquids.
8) Reduce cooking liquids a little to make sauce. Season as needed.