4 large pastured egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 cup powdered sweetener (or 5 Tbsp honey for Paleo)
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3.5 oz dark chocolate (dairy free and soy free chocolate for Paleo)
1 1/2 Tbsp grassfed butter or ghee
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tarter on medium speed.
3. Add the sweetener and cocoa powder. Increase the speed to high until the egg whites form very stiff peaks. Add the vanilla and mix to incorporate.
4. With a large star shaped pastry tip, pipe a 2" disc on to the parchment paper and pipe another layer on top to form a small peak. Repeat with the remaining meringue batter. (Makes about 26 cookies)
5. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes and turn off the oven and let sit for 3 hours or until the meringues have dried out.
6. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
7. Dip the meringue cookie into the chocolate (either just the bottom or half of the cookie) and set on parchment paper. Refrigerate until the chocolate has set.
Net Carb Count*: 0.94 g net carbs (per serving - 1 cookie--makes about 26 cookies)