1 large broccoli head with stem, made into "noodles"
4 slices bacon, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 head of roasted garlic squeezed from head)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
1. Slice the florets off the stem, trying to leave the stem intact as much as possible.
2. Reserve the broccoli florets for another recipe such as my Slow Cooker Broccoli and Beef.
3. Slice the bottom end off the broccoli stem so that it is evenly flat. Spiralize the broccoli stem.
4. Place a deep cast-iron skillet to medium heat and add the bacon and fry until crisp.
5. Remove bacon pieces and set aside, reserving bacon drippings in the pan.
6. Add "noodles", chopped onion and garlic to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent and "noodles" are soft, about 4 minutes. Adding 2 tablespoons of butter if needed.
7. Return bacon to skillet. Stir well to combine and heat through. Add Parmesan and toss until cheese is melted. Add beaten eggs and cook, tossing constantly with tongs or large fork until eggs are just set. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve immediately.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Carbonara = 523 calories, 15.5g fat, 28g protein, 66.2g carbs, 0.8g fiber
“Healthified” Carbonara = 216 calories, 12.3g fat, 19g protein, 8g carbs, 2.7g fiber
(51% fat, 35% protein, 14% carbs)