3 slices bacon
1 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
salt and pepper
1/4 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons butter
1. Heat the bacon in a Dutch oven or large skiller over medium-high heat and cook until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
2. Season the short ribs with a generous amount of salt and pepper, and then add to the hot bacon grease in the skillet. Brown ribs well on all sides.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook 1 minute before deglazing the pan with the red wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the beef stock and fresh rosemary, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Crumble the cooked bacon into the sauce. Cover and let cook 2 hours, or until beef is very tender.
5. Remove from heat, stir in butter, and season sauce with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Before stirring the butter into the sauce, taste it for robustness. If you feel the flavor could be more concentrated, simply raise the heat, and let the sauce reduce by 1/3 before stirring in butter.
2 hours is too short, 3 hours was perfect.
Next time, cook in slow cooker for 4 hours on high instead of on the stovetop.
3g net carbs.