1 lb. thin-cut boneless chicken breasts, hand trimmed (about 4 breasts, or 8 thighs)
1/3 C heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 C chicken stock or broth
4 oz. prosciutto, sliced julienne
1 oz. sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped (About two pieces. You don't need much.)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 C)
1/4 C finely chopped fresh basil OR 2 T dried basil
2 T butter
1/4 C shredded or grated fresh asiago cheese
1 T freshly chopped parsley OR 1 tsp. dried parsley
Salt and pepper (just a dash of each)
Melt butter in a large skillet and add onions and minced garlic. Sautee over medium heat for about five minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to lightly season. Add chicken to the onion and butter mixture.
3. Brown chicken, stirring frequently, over medium heat with the onions and butter. Cook thoroughly and allow the chicken to turn a nice, golden brown.
4. Remove chicken once it is thoroughly cooked and set aside momentarily.
5. To the onion and butter mixture left in the pan, add stock and cream and stir well. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
6. In a separate, smaller skillet, heat prosciutto over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. It will begin to sizzle and release some of its fat. Cook well, stirring constantly, until the meat becomes crisp but not burned. Remove prosciutto and place onto paper towels to drain. Set aside.
7. Add basil, half of the sun dried tomatoes, and 2T of the asiago cheese into the sauce mixture. Stir well.
8. Stir in half the prosciutto into the sauce mixture and stir well. Add back in the chicken (and any juices the chicken may have let out) and allow the mixture to simmer and thicken for about five more minutes or until sufficiently thickened.
9. Remove the chicken breasts and place onto a serving dish. Pour the sauce and all bits and pieces suspended in it into a container suitable for blending (my immersion blender came with its own blending cup). Use an immersion blender to smooth out the sauce and emulsify it until it's thick.
10. Pour blended sauce over chicken, then top with remaining prosciutto, asiago cheese, sun dried tomatoes and parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 4.